No drama, Melo situation makes sense

As a native Denverite, I’ve followed the Nuggets through 11 wining seasons, so spare me your aggravation with the Carmelo Anthony trade rumors (I refuse to call it a Melodrama).

The seven-month saga will go down as the standard of fail for ESPN, along with Ledrama’s “Decision,” and other scaled pro sports media.

While the concept of manufacturing news through unsubstantiated claims and anonymous sourcing is nothing new, this one is particularly Melodorous. The Anthony situation is a slow-moving freight-train spewing hot air, an outdated mode screeching across a digital landscaping, fully amplifying its foul outputs.

But I’m not here to throw coal onto that fire; I’m here to set the record straight on the actual Carmelo Anthony situation — you know, because I’m not a hypocrite and all. Forget the artificial sports news cycle, I’m hopping onto the opinion cycle, or more appropriately perhaps, the spin bike — another exercise to nowhere.

Except I’m right.

I speak from the perspective of an NBA nerd who has closely followed Melo’s career and have a pretty solid understanding of the factors that most influence the situation.

First, the idea that Carmelo Anthony created the situation is quite the superficial stance, fiction pulled right out of the old malcontent, primadonna potboiler.

The Nuggets offered Carmelo Anthony an extension; he’s never publically asked for a trade.

It was a pretty simple strategy to put pressure on Anthony to make a decision. By exerting that force on Melo, the Nuggets could wield more control over its future. Either Anthony signed early or the Nuggets could create a more advantageous marketplace for his services — short-term consequences on the currently composed team be damned (sadly).

Second, the idea that Anthony only wants to play for the New York Knicks is completely blown out of proportion. Yes, of course Melo would love to go back home and play in the Mecca, but above everything else the guy wants to win. He means it when he says it.

Anyone who has followed his career closely knows how hard he takes losses. Melo is a big-lights, big-game player, which brings me to my core premise.

Denver Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke wants to cut costs. He is likely to be one of the more outspoken owners in the labor negotiations railing against players, their salaries and the current NBA business model.

Remember, Denver started going into cost-savings mode when they traded Marcus Camby for a trade exception in 2008.

While Denver has been stuck in the luxury tax for the last few years, it’s abundantly clear that “Silent Stan,” as he is called by a Denver columnist, is going to part ways with Chauncey Billups, J.R. Smith, Kenyon Martin and quite possibly Nene in the next year and a half, regardless of the new, owner friendly features the distant collective agreement creates.

Contrary to popular belief, sadly it’s not in Melo’s best interest as a winner to want to continue his career in Denver. It’s no coincidence that the locations Melo has principally agreed to are places with a proven record of financial commitment to winning.

Anthony is not going to New York, not with Donnie Walsh overplaying his hand.

Mark Cuban will slip in at the 11th hour and Melo will join forces with Dirk Nowitzki (and sign an extension), putting the Mavericks into the NBA Finals before the totally not epic bi-sport lockout of 2011/2012.

Reach the columnist at nick.ruland@asu.edu